Sunday, August 10, 2014

Rain Please!


Bistro Set $40
 Just bits and bobs today:

  • It has only rained once in the last 6 weeks. It has been such a hot dry year.  It is a battle to keep our lawn and flowers alive.  Lots of people just let their lawns die but neither hubby nor I want to do that.  When we first moved to Vancouver Island friends didn't know how we could consider moving to a place that has so much rain.  The truth?  Alberta has had far more rain.  Even this past winter we hardly had any rain.  If we don't get some soon we will experience the forest fires that the rest off the Province has had as everything is tinder dry.  Rain please!
  • I was grocery shopping the other day and spotted the perfect bistro set for my Mom's back covered patio.  She is a senior on a very limited budget so I called her.  She checked it out the next day and for $40 she now has somewhere to sit outside and eat if she wishes.  The other other piece of furniture she has out there is the "found on road with free sign" (see original post) wicker furniture that I dragged home in 2012.  Hubby painted it ($20 paint - lots of coats required) and Mom bought a cushion for $16.  She loves the wicker chair as she sits out there and reads. It just goes to show you do not have to spend big bucks to decorate.  Now is the time to buy yard and outside patio furniture as it all seems to be on sale.  We would have been lucky to find the bistro set at that price used, let alone new.
Wicker Chair and table - found free on side of road
  • I found this very interesting as a lovely city on Vancouver Island made the cut as one of the friendliest cities in the world, go Victoria!  Friendliest and Unfriendliest Cities in the World.
  • I would really like to do a rotisserie chicken on the BBQ.  Unfortunately, the cheapest whole chicken I can find is $12.  Are you kidding me?  Why is it I can buy different parts including skinless boneless chicken breast cheaper than I can buy a whole chicken?  
  • I scored another free box of cereal on Freebie Friday at my local Quality foods.  Unfortunately, I think this promotion is at an end but we certainly were enjoying the free cereal.
  • We have so much work with our company that we have been working extremely long hours every day.  As a result we have been eating out more.  I need to get back on track!
  • I have to do some hard thinking.  At some point later this year I likely will quit my part-time job.  The extra income is nice but our company is doing so well it is no longer required.  I am working more than full-time right now between both our company work and the part-time job and I don't know how long I can do that for.   I did not move to paradise to work myself to death.
I hope everyone is getting out there and enjoying what is left of summer.  Cheers!

A dry field of pumpkins waiting for Fall

19 comments:

  1. They had Halloween stuff in the store I was in the other day....first week of August! We have had little rain as well but also little to NO humidity this Summer. I have hardly turned on the a/c at all this Summer. I am loving that! 8-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No AC - you probably have saved a bunch of money too!

      Delete
  2. Quit the job honey -- I would!!! And I love that bistro set and it's just the type of thing (and price) I am hoping to find before the end of the season.

    We did a chicken last night -- it fed four of us (including three hungry grown working men) and Tommy and I are eating the rest tonight. I pulled apart the chicken and mixed it with potatoes and veggies -- tossed in spicy guacamole. I can get a whole chicken for $1.09 a pound. I made stock over night too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We never get chicken in Canada that low except maybe legs once in a while. Prices here are outrageous for food.

      Delete
  3. I say quit too. I agree chickens are a ridiculous price.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They say beef is expensive but I can consistently find sales on beef but not chicken except parts. It makes no sense!

      Delete
  4. Great deal on the outside setting for your mum :)

    I'd quit as well, if you don't need the extra money why wear yourself out??? Go for it!

    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The hard part is the friends I have there. You can say you will still see them after but some of them it is unlikely.

      Delete
  5. It wouldn't be so bad buying a chicken for that price, if there was any kind of taste to it!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Plus when you factor in they sell whole rotisserie chickens here at the grocery store cooked for $8 same size, why go to the trouble? Except I really want to try chicken on the BBQ rotisserie :)

      Delete
  6. What a great buy on the bistro set. We've had very little rain here in lower Alabama, especially when you compare it to last summer when it rained nearly every day. I admit, I prefer it non-rainy. I can only wonder what winter has in store for us this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We were getting down to water advisories = on the coast when water is normally never a problem. It has rained since this post but I am not sure enough to change the situation.

      Delete
  7. I love the furniture -- the new bistro set and the old wicker. What finds! Living here on the beach with lots of sun year-round, I'm actually looking forward to the end of summer when the town quiets down and 75 percent of the people LEAVE!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not keen on really crowded beaches. The ones we go to are almost always semi-deserted and I like it that way too.

      Delete
  8. I love the furniture! Great find on both!
    It has been so cold and rainy here, I'm dreading the winter. I wish I could send you some of the cold wet weather.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After posting this it has rained twice! Starting tomorrow though the weather is clearing up for another week. The rain gods must have been listening.

      Delete
  9. Quit, dooo it, it's so liberating. :) I'm actually going back to working part time while I clearance the hell out of vintage glassware and move to a new niche, it'll help me survive while I step way back and improve the business :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are other things I get out of that part-time job like friendships and social activities that with being self-employed are more difficult. It is a tough decision and one I am delaying for a month or two for now.

      Delete
  10. We've been shopping at QF for a few years now since the new store opened in Powell River. Wayne likes it better, but I still think Overwaite (I refuse to call it by its new Save-On-Foods) has better prices on most items, and they have a store brand that QF doesn't seem to offer. - Margy

    ReplyDelete